Monday, April 18, 2005

"One of the Least of These"

A short collection of scriptures which I find personally very relevant and meaningful.

(N.B., In order to strengthen the relevance, and to increase the readability and comprehension, I have occasionally taken the liberty to modernize some of the archaicisms of the received text, as well as occasionally to expand slightly upon the original text, though not so much as to obscure or thwart the original intent.)


___________________________

Whatever you want people to do to you, that is what you should also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets. ... For if you forgive men their sins, your heavenly Father will also forgive you your sins; but if you don't forgive men their sins, neither will your Father forgive you your sins. ... (St.Matt.7:12; 6:14-15)

If a man says that he loves God, yet hates his brother, he is a liar: for how can a man truly love God, whom he has never seen, if he fails to love his brother, whom he has seen? And the commandment which God has given us is this: that whoever says he loves God must love his brother also. ... (1 John 4:20-21)

(This is how all men SHOULD act one toward another--obviously. But is it in fact the way most people treat ME? The sad fact of the matter is, that ...)

I am despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief, and they hid, as it were, their faces from me; I am despised,and they esteemed me not. ... (Isaiah 53:3)

God has known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: for my adversaries are all before his face. Reproach has broken my heart, and I am full of heaviness; I searched for someone to take pity on me, but there was no one to be found; I searched for comforters, but there were none. ... (Psalm 69:19-20)

Lord, how are they increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me. Many there be who say of my soul, "There is surely no help for HIM from God!" (Psalm 3:1-2)

(And why is this so? Quite simply, because ...)

My delights were with the sons of men [and still are ...] (Proverbs 8:31)

(This, then, is that great and dreadful thing which the people seemingly can never accept in me.)

O you sons of men, how long will you continue to turn my glory into shame? (Psalm 4:2)

[For] I am weary with my groaning; all the night I make my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. My eye is consumed because of grief; it waxes old because of all my enemies. ... (Psalm 6:6-7)

My soul, even, is weary of my life; I will leave my complaint upon myself; I will speak out in the bitterness of my soul. I will say to God: do not condemn me, but show me why you judge me this way. Does it seem a good thing to you, to cheapen and oppress me, or to despise the work of your own hands, and to support the schemes of the wicked who seek my destruction? Are your eyes like human eyes? Do even you see only as men see, ... that you should scrutinize my every smallest fault? Surely you know that in my heart of hearts, I am not evil or wicked. ... Remember, I beg you, that it was YOUR hands which made me as the clay; and do you really want to reduce me back to the dust again? YOU clothed me with skin and flesh, and fenced me with bones and sinews; YOU granted me life and favour in the beginning, and have preserved my spirit thus far. ... Why, then, did you ever bring me forth out of the womb, if all you want to do is allow my enemies to destroy me? ... Are not my days few? CEASE THEN! And leave me alone, that I may recover my breath for a short while, before I go from where I shall never return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death. ... (Job 10: various)

(My tormenters would do well to remember that their Lord and Saviour himself--whom they CLAIM to follow--said the following:)

Inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it unto me. ... (St.Matt. 25:40)

(In other words, when they treat ME badly, without charity, compassion, or forgiveness, it is exactly the same as if they had treated CHRIST that same way.)

He that is without sin among you--let HIM cast the first stone. ...
(St.John 8:7)

(What should they rather be doing?)

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and whoever loves is born of God, and knows God. Whoever does not love, does not know God, because God is love. ... (1 John 4:7-8)

For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning: that we should love one another. ... (1 John 3:11)

(And they should further remember that ...)

Judgement without mercy shall be shown [by God] to whoever has shown no mercy to his fellow-men .... (James 2:13)

[And]

Whoever hates his brother is a MURDERER, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. ... (1 John 3:15)