Saturday, May 07, 2005

A Few of my Favourite Whitman Quotations

The little light fades the immense and diaphanous shadows. ...

(Song of Myself, 24)





A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books. ...

(Song of Myself, 24)





All forces have been steadily employ'd to complete and delight me. ...

(Song of Myself, 44)





I am satisfied--I see, dance, laugh, sing; ...

(Song of Myself, 3)






There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now. ...

(Song of Myself, 3)







Behold, I do not give lectures or a little charity,
When I give I give myself. ...

(Song of Myself, 40)







This day before dawn I ascended a hill and look'd at the crowded heaven,
And I said to my spirit When we become the enfolders of those orbs, and the pleasure and knowledge of every thing in them, shall we be fill'd and satisfied then?
And my spirit said, No, we but level that lift to pass and continue beyond. ...

(Song of Myself, 46)







Recorders ages hence,
Come, I will take you down underneath this impassive exterior, I will tell you what to say of me,
Publish my name and hang up my picture as that of the tenderest lover,
The friend the lover's portrait, of whom his friend his lover was fondest,
Who was not proud of his songs, but of the measureless ocean of love within him, and freely pour'd it forth, ...

(from "Calamus")